5.27.23 Swallow Cliff Woods I, Palos Park, IL

    This post is in progress. Please see older posts for descriptive content. 

Ari REALLY wanted to go back to Swallow Cliff Woods. He wanted to walk through the gorge that winds through the woods. We only a few minutes into walking when we saw an owl! It was so quiet. And so big. We caught a short glance of it as it flew away. Ima wasn't able to get a pic but we found a feather :)

We have wanted to see a Cedar Waxwing for a while now, and finally saw one, but it wouldn't let me get a pic of it's face.

We saw a very large Barred Owl flying in the woods along a ravine. We only saw it for a few seconds, so we were unable to get a photograph. Anne found a feather. 

I was going over to a brambly area where I had heard a screech that I was hoping was a Cedar Waxwing, and spotted a group of about 15 Carolina Wrens in the brush, but they were very flitty, not letting me get a good pic of them.

One did some Carolina Wren parkour on this log.

This Red-bellied Woodpecker was dark on the back, so I originally thought was a Pileated Woodpecker, but upon closer inspection I noticed It was not, and had a grub in it's beak.

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch going into nest.

House Wren

House Wren singing

Sassy House Wren

House Wren singing.

Copper Underwing larva

Black Carpenter Ant with food

Damselfly


Comments